Friday, March 23, 2012

Self Portraits! Getting ready for the "This is me, from what I see" Spring break project!


A Bit about Self Portraits

We are so excited about all the "This is me, from what I see" Spring break project and I wanted to share a bit of interesting info I've gathered about self portraits! 

I am a painter, and have completed several self portraits, every time I paint a self portrait, I learn a bit more about myself and it's always a really interesting experience. 

Recently, I read an article by Daniella Ramos Barroqueiro, an Associate Professor of Art Education at Illinois State University discussing self portraits and children. She says...
"As an art teacher I have encountered many children who choose to express their self-awareness through autobiographical drawings, and talk. Children often tell us something about themselves through their descriptions of events, people, and settings that directly reflect their life experience."
She goes further into giving some great examples from her students and their own self portraits as well. It's a great and little article that illuminates a bit of one of the possible adult perspectives on our children's art. 

She inserts a great quotation from Harvey shows the wayNarrative in children’s art. 
“Art making and its description of the here and now allows children to share the day to day details of their lives with others,” says Kellman, an art educator interested in children’s narratives. “Images of homes, families, pets and friends enable children to illustrate the specifics of their lives and the particulars of time and place. These images, by their description of a child’s world, make clear the life circumstances of the child artist.”

Read more at Suite101: Children's Self-Portraits Reveal Personal Narratives | Suite101.com http://daniella-barroqueiro.suite101.com/childrens-self-portraits-reveal-personal-narratives-a295138#ixzz1pyplw0eN

Here are a few more recognizable self portraits from history! 

 Albrecht Durer


 Frida Kahlo


Andy Warhol


Vincent Van Gogh

Elaine De Kooning

Artemisia Gentileschi


There is no wrong way when creating a self portrait

No comments:

Post a Comment